Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Do Great in the Small Things

My favorite quote is by Mother Teresa, "Do great in the small things." Since it is Valentines Day and love is in the air, I have been thinking a lot about my husband Bill. There is nothing small about 6'4" foot Bill, but he is my greatest example of doing great in the small things. Bill is a small town boy, whom married a high maintenance big city girl. I remember early on in our relationship I struggled with the fact he wasn't an elaborate gift giver, he is not a smooth talker, he has never taken me on an extravagant date or trip, he is not a candle and chocolates kind of guy. I was really caught up in the big stuff and I spent a lot of time focusing on the big things he didn't do. I now know real love is in the small details. I love the way he makes me CD's with songs that remind him of me because he wants me to listen to them through out the day and know he is thinking about me, I love how he never will walk front of me, I love how when I get up with child in the middle of the night I return to find my bed side lamp on, I love how he brings me flower at least once a week with a "small" note thanking me or telling me how much he loves me, I love how he looks at me and I know he adores me, I love how self-less he is always putting my needs before his own, I love how quickly he jumps out of bed on the weekends to take care of the kids so that I can sleep in, I love how he brings Alexis and Lilly a flower to put in there rooms, I love how he works tirelessly to provide for our family without complaining. The crazy thing is, the things I enjoy the most about our life is the small everyday moments of just being together as a family. Bill gave me this song, it is by Alan Jackson called: "Had it not been you". This is the Lyrics of our life and love.
Had it not been you
The girls wouldn't look anything like they do, can't imagine my life without dresses and shoes, I'd never taken a sunset from the front porch swing, make any sense of the pleasure love brings, I'd been alone for sure had it not been you, I would not reach for your arms when my dreams don't come true, never sit holding hands on a crowded church pew, I would not smile when my fingers run through your hair, laugh when we race to the top of the stairs,I'd get old for sure if it had not been you, You know there are times that I can't wait to pick up the phone..when your calling, and the three little voices that always chime in right along when were talking, oh, I would never see through eyes of truth and my heart would have overlooked the view that song just talked about and never find once in a lifetime, Its hard to describe in just words how I feel when I am home and beside you but I make it known that its just time that I kill when I'm gone and without you, I am up all through the night if you will love me as long as I wake up each morning I'll know I am the only one around for a lifetime... I'd never taken a sunset from the front porch swing or make any sense of the pleasure love brings...I'd been alone for sure had it not been you.

I just wanted to write this post to tell Bill how much I love him and how grateful I am for him and the small everyday joys he gives me. Had it not been you...I know that no-one else could put up with me:) Love you and Happy Valentines.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like he does no small things at all.
Happy Valentines to a great couple.

Magic Brush said...

Ahhhhhhhhh... that is so sweet. Bill is a stand up guy! You are perfect together!

Snarky Belle said...

Okay, thanks. That was so sweet, you made me cry!! A beautiful tribute to a wonderful man.

Amber said...

How sweet! Happy Valentines you Cuties!

Aubrey :) said...

:)This is so cute

L said...

This made me cry! I love this and you are so right! it is the little things and I love that Bill does all those things for you.

He is a good man!

Happy Valentines Day!

Sam Ransom said...

Isn't this what life is all about. Not the big dramatic stuff. But the little things that truly say they love you everyday!