I write this post for my daughters, so if they ever start having these symptoms they will go get checked, and for anyone else whom reads that they will listen to there instincts when they now something just is not right. My first memory with bad anxiety was after Lilly was born, I remember feeling like I was going to have a heart attack sometimes, I have suffered from this anxiety off and on a lot since then, I just kept thinking it was PMS, or the blues. Being an high energy happy person, I just knew something seemed off. In the last two years since Jack was born I have really, and I mean really been trying to lose weight, exercising a minimum of 2 hours a day and often more, and trying to keep my caloric intake under 1500. Only to loose about 1 yes 1 pound a month, my weight watchers counselor and nutritionist suggested, I get my thyroid tested. With my struggle to lose weight, anxiety, and mild depression, insomnia I started to wonder if I was crazy, then I started to have a gland in my neck swell up and my entire neck hurt. I went to my OB thinking I was crazy, and had severe PMS. She sent me to an endocrinologist. Then last Friday I got a phone call from my Doctor asking me if I had a quite moment to go over my test results, being the Drama queen that I am, I said, "oh crap, how long do I have to live!" LOL! In all seriousness, it kinda freaked me out! To make a long story short, he found though blood tests that I didn't just suffer from hypothyroidism, I had what is called Hashimotos Diesease. Hashimoto's disease, sometimes known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disease. In Hashimoto's, antibodies react against proteins in the thyroid gland, causing gradual destruction of the gland itself, and making the gland unable to produce the thyroid hormones the body needs.Hashimoto's typically involves a slow but steady destruction of the gland that eventually results in the thyroid's inability to produce sufficient thyroid hormone -- the condition known as hypothyroidism. Along the way, however, there can be periods where the thyroid sputters back to life, even causing temporary hyperthyroidism, then a return to hypothyroidism. This cycling back and forth between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism is characteristic of Hashimoto's disease. So, for example, periods of anxiety/insomnia/diarrhea/weight loss may be followed by periods of depression/fatigue/constipation/weight gain.
In some cases, the onset of Hashimoto's and elevation of antibodies will be accompanied by a variety of symptoms, including anxiety, difficulty sleeping, fatigue, weight changes, depression, hair loss, muscle/joint aches and pains, and fertility problems, among others.
This is very treatable with thyroid medication, and I although would rather not have a disease feel so grateful to understand and to know why I have been struggling with these things. I feel like there is light at the end of this tunnel, and I also think it is soooo important that we trust our instincts, and listen to our bodies. And seriously, if your going to have a disease why not have one with such a sassy name:)


10 comments:
I am just so happy you have answers. Hopefully the medication will have you feeling better in no time at all! Love you!
Oh gosh girl..I bet it feels so good to have a name for how you feel. I wonder what my problem is.
I am so glad you found out and that it is a treatable thing! That has to make you almost jump for you...to know you aren't crazy! (your friends already knew you weren't)
with a sassy name...girl you crack me up!
I'm so glad you have answers to your health issues and most especially that they are treatable! I have a few family members that had undiagnosed medical problems for a while and the feeling of relief that came when a diagnosis was received was incredible.
So happy for you!
Girl... you know why you will always be ok? Cuz' you find the bright side to everything! The bright side usually has bling and an animal print... but you find it!!!!!!
I'm so happy that you can rest knowing what's wrong and that the doctor's can easily "fix it". In my own words... you're all good.
Blessings!
I'm so glad you got things checked! You should trust yourself when you feel something is off. Love ya!
ONLY YOU...would call a disease "sassy." Gotta love your attitude. I have hypothroidism and I sometimes get in this 'funks' where I have anxiety attacks, nervousness and I'm extremely emotional. LIKE TODAY...i feel like my world is crumbling around me and nothing much happened to throw me over the edge. *sigh* My neck also periodically will hurt like I pulled a muscle or something around where my thyroid gland is. My friends are always riding my back about making sure I go to my check-ups because I hate to.
Man, I can imagine the relief of knowing the cause behind the up and downs of all that you described in your post.
And I'm glad it's easily treatable. Yea!
Good for you, and "go you" for listening to your body & getting it checked out.
Hope you notice a difference soon. (and think about all that weight you're gonna lose, now that your body's going to be all "regulated!"
Are you kidding me that is so awesome knowing is half and sometimes more than half the battle. Way to keep listing to your body! Oh girl I am so happy for you!!! WOOWOO!
I am glad you have an answer now! I have gone through something simular where they tested my thyroid because they thought I had that hypothyroid thing, but mine turned out to be narcolepsy! Go figure! It is nice to have an answer tho, believe me, it explains a lot about you! ^_^
Post a Comment