Wednesday, November 26, 2008
The things we lost in the fire
So this week one of my very best friends, Tammy Anderson Beckler lost her entire home and all her belongings to a horrible house fire. Every earthly possession gone...no pictures, clothes, furniture, books, baby crib, toys, beds, computers....they have the clothes on there back and each other. As I have mourned for her this week and her families loss it has really made me think about what is important in life and wonder where I am placing my values. I sit in my beautiful home and look around at all the "things" we have acquired, and then I think of Tammy and the ashes, that are the only remnants of what is left. I feel like sometimes we get so caught up in acquiring things, and with one spark it could all be gone. While I don't think it is wrong to have nice things and a nice home I think it is important that we spend our time here on earth acquiring what is really important. Tammy has been overwhelmed by the generosity of friends and complete strangers, and it has made her look at people and life different. We cant take the stuff with us...and that's all it really is...is stuff. I pray that I can learn from this horrible tragedy and make sure that I spend my time on Earth acquiring what is really important, and what I can take with me to the next life. I also think it is important to be grateful for what we do have, instead of always wanting more. I remember when my friend Hilary was going through her infertility, and I found out I was pregnant with Jack! It was so hard for me to tell her I was pregnant. I felt guilty I was pregnant and she wasn't. I remember these words like it was yesterday..."Shauna the best gift you can give someone like me is to not feel guilty for what you have, but to be truly grateful, and not take it for granted." So as I sit in my home and think about Tammy, I feel so blessed. I pray they can continue to feel the love from others and cling to what really matters as they go through this difficult time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Wow I feel like I have been away for months! Thanks for helping me get things into perspective, wow what a difficult thing to have to go through.
Jack is so stinking cute are you kidding me what a handsome little monkey!
Oh my gosh...what a terrible thing! You're so right..all that matters is my family. I've gone through a little bit of that this year when I realize the stuff in my house is just stuff. I could lose it tomorrow and it wouldn't matter.
Sorry I missed the birthday party. I will have to tell you what happened that night...another time.
Post a Comment